How To Prevent Mold in Your Crawl Space
No one wants to spend a ton of time on their hands and knees in their home’s crawl space. After all, it’s dark and often damp—yet that’s exactly why you should give it some attention periodically. If left uninspected, crawl spaces can be a hotbed for mold and mildew that threaten your home’s structural integrity and lower your indoor air quality. We’ve put together a brief guide on how you can prevent mold from infiltrating your crawl space and what to do if it takes over.
5 DIY Tips for Mold Prevention
The good news is there are several steps you can take to prevent mold or stop its spread once it has appeared. The following five are the most effective:
- Stop leaks: Take a flashlight and search every corner of the crawl space for leaks and standing water. HVAC ducts and plumbing components are common sources of leakage.
- Seal cracks: Cracks in the foundation walls and crawl space ceiling are prime areas for moisture to build.
- Adjust gutters: Your gutters and downspouts can quickly cause mold growth, so be sure they direct water away from the foundation rather than toward it.
- Check insulation: If you see insulation sagging or missing in sections, you likely have a moisture problem you need to deal with.
- Check vents: Dryer vents are sometimes set up to discharge into the crawl space, creating excessive humidity that can be hard to control. If possible, make sure dryer vents discharge to the outside.
Professional Mold Prevention Techniques
Although going through the DIY checklist is important, there is only so much you can do to keep your crawl space clean and dry year-round. When you work with a professional service, you have several options for mold defense that you couldn’t replicate on your own. Alpha Foundations offers the following crawl space services to stop mold in its tracks.
- Dehumidifier: A dehumidifier with a powerful blower can dry large areas and filter out mold spores. We use dehumidifiers that automatically shut off when optimal humidity is reached.
- Encapsulation: A step up from a dehumidifier alone, encapsulation seals off your crawl space to stop water intrusion, stop seepage, and seal air leaks to keep the space dry.
- Insulation: Rigid foam insulation and sealing is an excellent way to repel mold and improve your indoor air quality.
Ask Alpha Foundations About Mold Prevention
There’s never a good reason to ignore moisture problems in your crawl space, especially if mold has already begun to proliferate. Alpha Foundations has the solutions you need to keep your crawl space dry and mold-free for years to come.
word for it
They did everything they said they were going to do. Everything turned out wonderful; they met my expectations. We're very happy with the outcome.Pamela DeLand, FL
Alpha Foundation was professional from the beginning. From their sales rep, to the actual labor crew that came in and did the work. The crew was very informative a...Troy Orlando, FL
I have had many home repair jobs done over the years, by many contractors, in many locations in different states, and Alpha Foundations is the best one by far. Fir...Leonard St. Augustine, FL
I am extremely satisfied with the work done on my home. The work crews were professional, friendly and did a great job. My cement is level now and my lanai is secu...Marsha Gulf Breeze, FL
I chose your company after my talk with the design tech and assessment of his analysis of my problem and your solution. Also, the fact that he didn’t try to use ...Thomas Jacksonville, FL
The wealth of honesty and knowledge far exceeded my expectations. My appointment was completed successfully in a professional and timely matter. I now feel much be...William Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Alpha Foundations, is the company to call if you have foundation issues at your home or office. They are very knowledgeable, courteous, and professional. They are ...Roy Valdosta, GA